Family photo shoots are a wonderful way to freeze precious moments in time and create lasting memories. In this blog post, we'll explore some tips to help you prepare for a family photo shoot that will capture the unique bond your family shares.
1. Choose the Right Photographer: Selecting the right photographer is crucial in capturing the spirit of your family. The best family photographers not only take beautiful photos, but also provide an amazing experience for the entire family. As a family photographer, I draw on my former elementary teaching experience as well as my personal experience with my young daughter to create a warm and welcoming environment for the whole family. Take the time to connect with the photographer before you book with them to make sure they would be a good fit for your family. I know this is the age of texting and email, but there is nothing better than chatting with the photographer on the phone, via Facetime, or in person to assure they are a good fit for your family.
2. Define the Theme and Location: Decide on the overall theme or mood you want to convey in your family photos. Whether it's a casual outdoor shoot or a formal studio session, setting the right tone will help guide your outfit choices and overall preparations. Select a location that aligns with your desired theme or holds sentimental value to your family, such as a local park, your home, or a scenic landmark. Remember to consider weather conditions and lighting when choosing an outdoor location.
3. Coordinate Outfits: Coordinating outfits can add a touch of harmony and visual appeal to your family photos. Choose a color scheme or a palette of complementary colors to create a cohesive look. Avoid overly busy patterns or logos that might distract from the focus on your family's faces. Consider the location and season when selecting appropriate attire. Don't forget to plan outfits for shoes and accessories as well. If you choose to book with me, I will provide you with a detailed Style Guide with all of the information you need to select the perfect outfits for the whole fam!
4. Communicate with Family Members: When prepping for a family session, it's important to ensure that every family member is aware of the photo shoot date, time, and location. Clear communication will help create a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere during the shoot. Engage children in the conversation, make them feel excited and involved in the process. It can also be helpful to provide something exciting for the child to look forward to after the session. Who doesn't like to celebrate with ice cream or a cupcake after rocking their family photos?!
5. Plan Activities and Props: To bring an element of authenticity and playfulness to your family photos, consider incorporating activities and props. This could involve playing a game, having a picnic, or engaging in an activity that your family enjoys. Props such as balloons, blankets, or vintage items can add visual interest and personal flair to the photos. Discuss these ideas with your photographer, who can help integrate them seamlessly into the session. It can also be helpful to bring a special stuffy or toy for the photographer to use to hold the attention of young family members.
6. Rest and Relax: In the days leading up to the photo shoot, make sure everyone gets enough rest to look and feel their best. Encourage relaxation techniques to minimize stress and anxiety. Remember, a calm and happy family will naturally radiate warmth and joy in the photographs. Try not to fill your calendar with too much the day of the session if you have young children. They will be more likely to enjoy the session if they are fresh.
Conclusion: Preparing for a family photo shoot is an exciting endeavor that requires careful thought and consideration. By choosing the right photographer, defining the theme, coordinating outfits, communicating with family members, planning activities and props, and ensuring everyone is well-rested, you can create a memorable and enjoyable experience for everyone involved. These photos will serve as cherished keepsakes, capturing the unique beauty and love that exists within your family. So, embrace the process, have fun, and let your family's true essence shine through the lens!